Friday 29 January 2016

The Force Awakens...


After demonstrating stellar commitment to his work at Myatt’s Corner Café, Year 10 employee Dylan was asked to help cater for a formal event at Park Campus on Tuesday. 

He arrived to work at 6.30am and performed in an exemplary fashion throughout the day.






He and fellow Year 10 employees Shanay and Shakai visited The Ritzy Cinema in Brixton on Thursday to watch and review ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ for their Bronze Arts Award. The force is strong with these employees…

Shanay has also worked incredibly well at Myatt’s Corner Café over the past few weeks. This week, she is our guest blogger and photographer…

‘I have been learning how to use knives the professional way, how to make cakes from scratch, how to set out garnish (how to arrange the salad), how to use a knife sharpener so knives don’t get blunt, how to interact with customers, how to use the till and how to use the coffee machine.

This is the main bit of the kitchen where we cook. Most of the time it’s just me, Shakai, Eddie (the executive chef) and Garfield (the chef) in the kitchen. Sometimes we have to switch so Dylan and Samantha will be in the kitchen or even Steph. I’m used to being in the kitchen so I’m not really on the till as much. Although this time I was serving more.

This is the machine that makes coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Dylan, Samantha, Jan and Steph are normally on it, and take it in turns.



This is the till. It looks simple but it’s not. Steph, Jan, Samantha or Dylan normally take it in turns on the till because they are much better than me and Shakai at it.

Here are some of the tables in the café where customers would eat their food but sometimes customers get a takeaway. 




One of my skills is I can now bake from scratch and don’t have to use cake mix. I have made sponge cakes and cupcakes and I will be learning how to professionally make banoffee pie from scratch.

The main thing I found challenging was having to go and serve dishes and speak to customers because it is awkward having to meet new people. 




I overcame this by watching other café employees talk to customers and I noticed it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I think I would be able to work in a place like this in the future because I am really good at it now. It would be a good part time job whilst I’m in college.

I could improve on using the till because one day Samantha, Dylan, Jan or Steph might want to be in the kitchen and we might be short-staffed so I might have to be on till.’ -Shanay

Shanay even accepted an offer to support the staff at Myatt’s Corner Café with their Friday afternoon rush…

‘I am going to start going to the café on a Friday and I don’t normally so I will be looking forward to that.’

No comments:

Post a Comment